Thursday, May 3, 2012

For Those That Don't Get the Newsletter

Here is part of what I wrote in the current Newsletter. Sort of a re-cap of the year. Wow…this year has flown by. Hard to believe that it’s May already. It won’t be long and this year will be in the rear view mirror (but if any students are reading this, all of our school rules still apply right up to 11:48 on June 12th). In September I asked the eighth graders to be leaders. I explain that the success of our year will be determined by them. They have done an outstanding job setting the tone of the building. That’s not to say that we didn’t have a few bumps along the way but all in all, it’s been a great year. For our eighth grade parents I’d like to take a moment to wish you and your student all the best in the next four years. You’ve done a great job so far raising your child and even though they might at times say and act like they don’t need your help, the next four years are critical as they will be faced with many challenging choices. Making sure that they hear (over and over) that every choice has consequences…some good and some bad….will pay dividends as they cross the stage in four years and head out into the real world. For my seventh grade parents, next year I will be expecting even more from your student. They will be my leaders of the school. How they except that leadership role will determine how much more grey hair I have at this time next year. For my sixth grade parents, the transition to adulthood will continue. Your student will be given more opportunities to fall and learn from their mistakes. It’s painful as a parent, but sometimes learning from failing is the best learning. I’m already looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment