Tuesday, May 18, 2010

National Anthem Etiquette

It was pointed out to our Assistant Principal, Mr. Bialk, that during our Honors Night while the National Anthem was being sung that only one person on stage had their right hand covering their heart.....and.... we should show more respect. I took that to heart (no pun intended).....you're not going to find many people that are more patriotic or respectful than I am when it comes to our country. I was always taught growing up that during the pledge, you cover your heart but during the National Anthem you stand at attention, remove your hat and face the flag. With that said, I did some research. In 2007, Congress addressed this for the first time in 36 USC 301. This U.S. Code created the first mandated national anthem etiquette. The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and placing the right hand over the heart. Uniformed personnel, firefighters, law enforcement officers, and military personnel in uniform should render a hand salute. When the national anthem is played or sung, U.S. citizens should stand straight and rigid and salute at the first note and place your right hand over your heart through the last note. Good to know, and now that I do, you can bet my hand will be placed over my heart in the future. No disrespect intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment