Monday, May 24, 2010

Lance Armstrong Wanna-be

If you are looking for a blog that has to do with the middle school, you can stop reading now. This is a personal entry about giving in to peer pressure, overcoming a challenge and having a great time. It all started a month ago when I was with a bunch of my daffy friends when they started talking about going on this bike ride up north and how much fun it was. Initially there was no way I was going...then a while later, I'd think about it....then maybe....then by the end of the night I was in. How tough could it be? It's on a bike....if I get tired I can just coast. I used to be an athlete. It was only 50 miles (actually 51) and I had a month to train. Well, as life would have it, training never happened and I spent 4 plus hours Saturday on my bike going from Boyne to Mackinaw on a ride that is call "The Zoo de Mack". For those of you that own a bike I would highly recommend it. It's not a race and you'll see every type of rider imaginable on the road. Tall, short, young, old (older than me), muscle bound, not so muscle bound, guys and gals. From your basic "Tour de France" types to your "I can't believe you think that bike is going to make it to Mackinaw". If you decide to give it a try, you'll need to go in understanding at least one basic law of nature. There are a few hills along the way and going down hill is great....uphill, not so much. Other than that, understand that no one's hind quarters was intended to sit on a bike seat for any extended period of time (I'm standing as I type this). It is something that I'm glad I did, even though I can't sit and my legs are still cramping up. I hope to make it an annual thing. Next year I'm asking my sons to join us (using the same peer pressure techniques that were used on me). Anyone that is interested should Google it and give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment