Thursday, May 1, 2014

Rumors and Life Lessons

This has the possibility to make some of you happy and others, not so much. As some of you probably heard, I applied for the Richmond Superintendent position. I received the phone call last night that they went in another direction (in other words, I came in second). The reason I'm putting this on our Blog is two fold. First reason is that I'm not trying to leave SCMS or East China. Lets be honest....I've got it made here. I've got a GREAT Staff, GREAT Kids and GREAT Parent support. The reason I applied is, at this point of my career I feel I'm ready to lead a district. I feel I have a lot to offer if given the opportunity. The second reason for this post is the life lesson part of not being selected. I have a sign in my office that states "Sometimes when you feel you've been rejected, you're really being redirected" If there is one lesson in life that we can hammer home with our kids it would be that one. Life is full of disappointments, how we handle those disappointments defines us. Please take a minute or two and have that conversation with your child. The easy path is to feel sorry for yourself, or worse yet, not to challenge yourself in a way that puts you in a position where disappointment is a possibility. When you don't get the answer you're looking for, we should pick our self up, learn from it and move forward always keeping the big picture at the forefront. I'm a very lucky man and even though the Richmond position didn't work out for me, I could not be happier to be at SCMS.

No comments:

Post a Comment