Friday, September 20, 2013

SCMS Hotline

Every year, a few times a year, I'll have a parent either come in my office or call me all upset and tell me about a situation has been going on for months and no one has done anything. After I calm the parent down, I find out that the student/parent hasn't told anyone and we had no idea that there was an issue. Now students have another tool to use. I've created a SCMS Hotline (810-637-1812) that students can text to. Here is how it works. A student has thoughts of wanting to hurt themselves, or know of a friend that talks about wanting to hurt themselves, or they know of another student that brought something to school that they shouldn't have, or they know of a bullying situation, or anything that they feel an adult needs to know, they can text that to the SCMS Hotline. These texts will be monitored by myself, Mr. Westerhof and our counselor Mrs. McElreath. Students do not need to leave their name. I see a HUGE upside to this. Being a Middle School, odds are we might get a few texts that I would classify under the "Middle School Drama" category, but if we can help one student by using this Hotline, then it'll be well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment