Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Class Meetings/Talk

If you’re ever looking for dinnertime topics, ask you student about my talk I had with them on Tuesday morning. Every opening day, I meet with each class for about 20 minutes to go over some school rules and outline my expectations. My talk varies a bit from 8th grade (young adults) to 6th graders (still transitioning from elementary school) but the message is basically the same. Do your best at everything thrown your way. Behavior, homework, cleaning your room….makes no difference what we’re talking about, always do your best. I used the example of the State’s Top to Bottom list. SCMS is ranked at the 67%. I told our kids that I felt that this was an embarrassment and if we got everyone to give their best effort; we will easily be ranked in the mid 80 percentile. With the MEAP right around the corner, I’m challenging our kids to give their best effort. Any help at home to reinforce the importance of doing their best on the MEAP would be greatly appreciated. We’ve got great kids and a great staff….we’re much better than the 67% ranking we received. I’m hoping our kids help me prove that.

No comments:

Post a Comment