Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tardy Conversation....

Just had a conversation with two 8th grade girls who were coming out of Mr. Bialk's office. They were trying to debate with me why they shouldn't be disciplined for multiple tardies. Both girls are great kids...rarely in any other kind of trouble. Their debate consisted of the usual....not enough time, had to go to their lockers, etc. After listening, I told them that their biggest downfall was that they are both very popular females that can't go from point A to point B without stopping to have a conversation with six classmates. Then I pointed out that our main job was to prepare them for high school. In high school, I explained, two tardies equals one unexcused absence. They get to a certain number of unexcused absences and they lose credit. Our discipline here is basically a slap on the wrist...whether it's lunch detention(s) or Saturday School, but in the big picture, our hope is that we are teaching them a lesson for the future so they aren't freshman year after year. They both looked at me and said "you lose credit for tardies in the high school?". The reason I bring this up is that I have had this conversation with all classes during lunches, over the PA, during assemblies, countless times. Glad to know that these kids listen to me as well as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment