Thursday, June 3, 2010

Watching History....Almost

Over the past few years, through the hard work of Mrs. VanTroostenberghe and the generosity of the Detroit Tigers, we have been able to take all of our students that make Student of the Month to a Tiger game. Last night, our Student of the Month kids came within one out of seeing the Tigers make history. In all of sports, one of the rarest feats is the perfect game in baseball. No hits, no walks, no errors. With two outs in the 9th inning, a weak ground ball was hit and I was sure history was made....I had already planned how I was going to frame my ticket stub with the next day's Detroit Free Press front page. Then, the umpire makes one of the worse calls I have ever seen and calls the runner safe at first. By the time we got home, the umpire's poor call was the talk on every local and national news station..and probably will be for a few days. I'm still a little stunned, but even without the perfect game, the weather was great, the kids had a good time and memories were made...what else could you ask for (except maybe for instant reply)?

No comments:

Post a Comment