Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Read Only if You're Old

Everyone that is going through a mid-life crisis will be able to relate to this. In my ongoing fight to prevent myself from growing old, looking old and feeling old, a very good friend told me I should try yoga. At first I laughed at the idea....I mean, come on, I was sort of an athlete back in the day. I couldn't see myself sitting on a cliff with my legs crossed, eyes shut and hands to each side making a circle with my thumb and index fingers. He convinced me that wasn't the way yoga was and that it was quite a workout. He told me of a show on Comcast that airs at 6:00 a.m. called Inhale. After a few weeks of thinking about it (and receiving my AARP card in the mail), I decided to give it a try. Because I usually leave the house around 6:15, I DVR'd a couple of shows. Well, after a couple of weeks of doing it I can't begin to tell you how humbling a workout yoga is. After 25 minutes (I haven't even come close to being able to do the whole hour yet), sweat is pouring off me.....and I no longer refer to it as yoga. I call it modga (modified yoga). Those people twist and stretch their bodies in ways and directions that I will never be able to accomplish. Made me think of the time I got stuck climbing into the back of my Jeep and how much easier that adventure would of been if I had been doing modga. Anyway...if you're feeling old, I highly suggest the 6:00 a.m. Inhale show. It's a great workout and, for the majority of us, it gives us a chance to laugh at ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment